Are your energy bills escalating each month? If they are, we can help with our green energy advice. We here at BG Electrical can teach you how to save money and the planet at the same time. Just adopt the following eco-friendly habits!
1. Use as much natural light as you can during the daylight hours. Open up the drapes and let the sunlight illuminate your room. Natural light usage reduces the amount of electricity you use for lighting on a daily basis.
2. Along with using natural lighting, you need to switch from incandescent light bulbs to the more energy efficient LED or CFL bulbs. In fact, the LEDs contain no mercury, unlike what the CFLs contain, but at present, they are a bit pricier than CFLs. Either type of these newer bulbs lasts longer than the incandescent ones do, meaning that you will spend less money on bulbs while consuming less energy.
3. Turn passive ways to heat your house. In cool weather, open up your drapes similar to #1, but to let the sun’s rays heat your house. Passive heating works best when your windows face to the north here in Australia. You will also need to be sure to have all windows and doors closed so your house retains the heat even after the sun goes down. Passive heating will help to reduce the amount of heat you must produce through your heating system. One part of passive cooling your house is keeping the drapes closed to prevent the sun’s rays from heating the house during the hot weather. These are simple steps for passive heating and cooling that are easy for any homeowner to participate in to lower his or her electrical services bill. The use of less energy also leaves less of a carbon footprint on the planet.
4. Replacing outdated appliances with new Energy Star rated ones will conserve energy. Washing machines, dishwashers, stoves, and refrigerators use more energy than you think. In addition, certain years of refrigerators emit CFC gases that are harmful to the earth’s atmosphere. Check out the energy rating on any appliance you purchase to ensure it is an eco-friendly as possible. You will save money and benefit the earth!
5. Switch at least partially to solar power. Solar power is a renewable energy that cost nothing to use after you pay for installation. Over time, it pays for itself by lowering your traditional electric bill. In some instances, you can even live off the grid with the right setup and additional conservation methods.
6. Have a professional check the heating and air conditioning system in your house on a regular basis. Routine checks keep the system working at peak efficiency, which means it uses less energy.
These are just six ways to save money and the planet at the same time. When you lessen your carbon footprint on the earth, you do your part to protect this planet from further harm. Take heed of this green energy advice today!